Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We're on top of the World!


Made it back to normalville.  I must say it feels good to sleep on a mattress that won't deflate. I like peeing with a rug under my feet. And showering isn't bad either. 


We hot-dogged, s'mored, tented, hiked, and bean bagged. That's right, I said hot-dogged. But really, we had an afternoon long bean bag toss tournament. Hardcore. 


Upon hiking a 2 mile "warmup" (see photo) and a 4 miler at 13,100' the "real deal," I have come to terms with the fact that I am out of shape. If you aren't able to recognize the signs on your own, vomiting and nearly losing all oxygen (mostly caused by altitude sickness) should definitely clue you in. Hiking at high altitudes is hard for anyone, but especially a desk jockey from Kansas City, MO. 


With that being said, I have the best fiance a woman could ask for. He absolutely loves the outdoors (clue in on the mountain beard). He's stronger and faster than me and probably wanted more than anything to reach our original goal of Mt. Ypsilon a peak at 13,500'. But we summited at a slightly lower peak, Chiquita at 13,100'. He stayed behind with me and encouraged me to keep going when I probably would've turned around. We're partners; lovers. That's how it should be, the two go hand-in-hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment